We are always on the lookout for new ally stories! Need some guidance? Consider the following questions to help you get started:
- Do you consider yourself a straight ally in your workplace? How did you “come out” and let your colleagues know that you support inclusion and equality for GLBT people?
- What motivated you to learn more about the GLBT community in your health-related field? As doctor, nurse, or allied health professional have you ever felt ostracized because you are a straight ally?
- Was there a turning point that led you to support inclusion and equality for GBLT people in your faith community? If so what was it?
- Why did you join your local PFLAG Chapter? What did the chapter do to make you feel welcome as a straight ally without a GLBT child or family member?
- If you could summarize it in one sentence – why are you a straight ally? Is there a specific person or event that motivated you to be a straight ally? Have you ever had to defend your position as an ally?
Submit your responses to firstname.lastname@example.org, and please share this request with your friends! If your submission is selected for the publication or web resources, we will contact you if additional information is required.
P.S. Feel like a picture is worth a thousand words? Then download one of our “I’m a straight ally because…” postcards, fill it out, and share your photo with us on Facebook.